Followers

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

so long live this.

"Lost love is still love. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken, another heightens. Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it." - Albom

How many people have you met who live in memory? Memory of their loved ones. Memory of laughing so hard till their sides hurt. Memory of crying over lost friendship. Just memories.

And were they happy with it, I wonder. Can you miss someone so much for so many years and yet can still dance in that unheard melody only through memory?

I think people compensate, that's what they do. My mum for instance. She didn't talk much about grandma, and even if she did, it was never with such terms of endearment. My grandma passed away when I was too young to even remember how she looked like.

But there were moments, when I think grandma actually danced in my mum's memory. You see, when my eldest brother gave mum her first grandchild, I never thought she would call herself 'Tok Wan' or 'Wan' to be short. My mum's name does not have the slightest sound of Wan.

But my grandma was called Wan when she was alive. And I guess that's how my mum keeps grandma alive. By being the embodiment of that person herself, she nurtures the memory. As simple as that.

There must be all sorts of crazy ways people do to hold on to memory, don't you think? I think it's because when you have loosen your grip on things, memory somehow always takes you back to those things. It keeps them alive and breathing and like nothing has changed.

And as for me - I dance to my memory by writing it down. This way, as long as someone is reading it, it will never be forgotten. So long live this, and this gives life to thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment